Menopause is a changing moment in every woman’s life; however, little has been talked about it until now, and what we generally are told is that it is a parchment of nasty symptoms attacking us relentlessly for a long period of time.
A word that goes beyond what we think
Fortunately, more spaces as this one, Grace of No Age, are being opened to give us a clear and real perspective of this transitional stage, from which we can get lots of gifts that will help us to establish ourselves as complete and mature women at peace.
I have had a long time working with groups of women of all ages, and one of the sweetest and most efficient tools we have to lighten any process we are going through is being surrounded by women. Whoever has experimented this, knows that this healing magic works in an invisible but infallible manner. Feeling a caress of the feminine strength in the soul comforts more than a thousand words.
What is sorority?
Nowadays, sorority is a trendy term that has been adopted to talk about the gathering of women in order to help and protect each other. This is totally true, but if we dig a little, we would realize why this gathering of women celebrating or in the most sacred silence is a powerful tool.
Let’s go back and back in history to understand the profound meaning this word has. Most of the words in Spanish come from Latin, from where we take two terms: frater and soror; the first one refers to a “brother”, whereas soror refers to a “sister”. There we can find a clue… sorority refers to a fraternity among women.
The feminine energy
So, the interesting part is to pay attention to what the ancient tradition means by feminine energy; being the Mayans or Arabs, it is always related to sweetness and harmony, cooperation and nutrition, acceptance, inclusion and accompanying with no judgement.
As nature doesn’t distinguish among the beings that form and inhabit it, the strength of the Goddess generously sustains and embraces everything under her mantle. Who hasn’t felt protected and rested when sheltering in a humid cave after having walked for hours under the sun? That feeling is “Her”, and all women, without exception, carry this seal in our bodies; a true God’s gift we can use in the difficult times we go through when adapting to the changes menopause brings.
Lightening the burden in sorority
Many times, we feel overwhelmed and alone in front of the ending of the first stage of our lives; there are so many changes in our body, environment and rhythm that the pressure these can create in us is tremendous; many times unfortunately emphasizing the symptoms, making it a never ending vicious circle. Please, try the following to realize these sensations can be reduced to a minimum if you gather with women that simply listen and accompany you, lets leave for another time the advises and rules, since even when we know they are essential too in this stage, they belong to our masculine nature, we will talk about this in another moment. To live the sorority, I recommend:
- Build a tribe with women living menopause as you are; listen to them without judgement and with acceptance; and you, express yourself with freedom and honesty.
- Enjoy joyful moments with women that love dancing, laughing, and singing without reservation. Pajamas parties at 50 are an excellent remedy to anxiety or depression.
- Seek for your mother’s embrace or the one of an older woman, which wordlessly covers you and lets you rest in her fragile but experienced arms.
- Don’t miss any gathering with your girlfriends, do together things you all enjoy, have a coffee, a glass of wine, walk through nature or listen to music. Always share those moments of endless laughter.
- Taking advantage of the social networks keep in touch with women who express themselves from their consciousness of accepting this moment, so you get the bravery to cross, in company, what looks like a dark tunnel which will take you to the beginning of the second stage of life; in which I promise you will find yourself face to face with the woman you always wanted to be.
Women walking hand in hand with other women; one of the best strategies for this stage of adaptation and change where, it is even possible to be reborn. To read more about this topic, please read my previous article “How to Find the Great Woman that Menopause Gives You”.
Soror (sister): Get a loving embrace from my woman soul.
Aging. Menopause. Spiritual. Women’s Empowerment.
If you enjoyed this article and would like to help us support this beautiful project so we can continue creating amazing content; please help us by donating as little as the cost of a coffee or as much as you like.